Vision Australia acknowledges Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the First Australians and the Traditional Owners of the Land across our working area. We pay our respects to Elders both past, present and future in maintaining their cultures, countries and their spiritual connection to the lands and waters. Vision Australia acknowledges and respects the genuine diversity and richness of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures across Australia.
What is a RAP?
A Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP) is categorised by Reconciliation Australia as “a strategic document that supports an organisation's business plan. It includes practical actions that will drive an organisation's contribution to reconciliation both internally and in the communities in which it operates."
At Vision Australia, we have developed a Reflect RAP which is the entry level in an organisation’s reconciliation journey. This Reflect RAP has been officially endorsed by Reconciliation Australia.
What are the aims of our RAP?
We are committed to beginning our reconciliation journey with the development and implementation of our Reflect RAP. Vision Australia will ensure that engagement and partnerships with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, communities and organisations will be undertaken in a respectful, ethical and transparent manner. We will strive to foster a culture of inclusion and cultural awareness. Our RAP will be championed by the Chief People Officer (CPO).
Some of our key initiatives include:
- Establishing, and building upon already existing, relationships with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander stakeholders and organisations.
- Promoting reconciliation through our sphere of influence.
- Increase understanding, value and recognition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures, histories, knowledge and rights through cultural learning.
- Improve employment outcomes by increasing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander recruitment, retention and professional development.
- Build accountability and transparency through reporting RAP achievements, challenges and learnings both internally and externally.
Download Vision Australia's Reconciliation Action Plan: